Slides Website Venue
THAT Conference 2022
Day: Thursday, June 26 Time: 2:30 PM
Are you working on a side project and aren’t close to your development machine? If you have access to a web browser, you can code right now if you develop in the cloud!
As cloud resources and web-based source code management tools improve in quality and affordability over time, the days of needing a dedicated development machine may no longer be necessary for all development workflows. This is a discussion on developing in the browser, with me showing several examples of projects that I’ve worked on in Gitpod and GitHub Codespaces. I will then give some instructions on how to set up your own cloud development environment!
Goals: At the end of this session, here are some key takeaways:
- Gain a better understanding of cloud-based development in the web browser.
- Know the questions to ask and the steps to take to get started coding in the web.
- Mind map of this topic, using Coggle.it
- Gitpod created a post comparing Gitpod to Codespaces. It’s pretty informative about the general and philosophical differences between the products.
- Gitpod home page
- GitHub Codespaces information page. It’s still in early access, so you would need to sign up for the beta to see anything other than this page.
- Information on how to configure your Gitpod instance
- Information on how to configure Codespaces
- Information on Gitpod ENV files, updated as of June 8, 2022